Through the winter of 1908 and into 1909, Chautauqua was abuzz with activity. The first 1909 issue of The Chautauquan Daily announced that “a new and beautiful Chautauqua greeted Chautauquans.”
In her book Three Taps of the Gavel: Pledge to the Future, Alfreda L. Irwin, former Chautauqua Institution archivist and…
The Chautauqua Assembly Herald editorial for Aug. 18, 1897, announced it was to be a Red Letter Day in Chautauqua Institution’s calendar.
An editorial in the Chautauqua Assembly Herald on July 29, 1896, acknowledged the admirable lecture that Professor William James, the psychologist from Harvard, gave the previous week on July 24.
To pick up The Chautauqua Assembly Herald on July 26, 1895, Chautauquans would read about themselves from the day before, awakened by a Chautauquan landlady calling her guests’ attention to the fact that breakfast in her house would begin promptly at 7 a.m.
The Walk and Talk Man, unnamed other than by his Chautauqua Assembly Herald byline, walked the grounds and talked with residents and lecturers during the 1890s. He referred to himself in the third person.
On July 25, 1893, an editorial in the Chautauqua Assembly Herald reported that the Institution would offer a number of economic lectures in that season, showing “how earnestly we are devoting ourselves to these questions.”
The year 1892 marked four centuries since “a sailor, adventurous, studious, credulous, ambitious, eager, dreamed of another world hidden behind the mists of the Atlantic.” The Chautauqua Assembly Herald reported that the Rev. J.B. Young of Kansas City, Missouri, was speaking of Christopher Columbus.
In the opening July 22 issue of the 1891 season, the Chautauqua Assembly Herald ran an editorial that reported, “The ASSEMBLY HERALD is printed this morning on two steam presses in the new brick building on Bowman Avenue near the public road. The Herald has thus the second brick building at Chautauqua. These signs of permanence are gladly welcomed by all who are interested in the growth and prosperity of this, the parent Assembly and place of origin of the C.L.S.C.”
In the summer of 1953, Chautauqua Institution was in its 80th year, prompting some reflection on its origin — a material representation of which was published in The Chautauquan Daily in two parts on July 7 and July 10, titled “Early Days of Chautauqua,” by Kate P. Bruch.