Tag Archives: Lori Humphreys
COURTESY OF CHAUTAUQUA INSTITUTION ARCHIVESIn a photo estimated to have been taken between 1920 and 1929, two teachers and a group of students from the Children’s School observe animals in a coop. The Lodge (emergency hospital) appears in background to the left.

Remembering the Lodge: Chautauqua’s own hospital, 1912–1922

This week, 21st-century Chautauquans explore “Health Care: Reform and Innovation.” Health concerns were also very much on the minds of Chautauquans near the end of the 19th century. Today’s discussion is one of a complex, sophisticated health care system; in the 19th century, it was a discussion of water purification and sewage systems. Today, it’s asking how to organize an effective, affordable health care system; in the 19th century, it was asking how to eliminate contagious disease and treat Chautauquans who may be far from home.

Continue reading
A window that hangs in front of the fireplace of the Presbyterian House. (4)

Nancy Richards: A biography in glass

Chautauquan Nancy Richards is a woman of many facets: minister’s wife, mother, former president of the United Methodist House and accomplished stained glass artist.

Conversations with her reveal a woman of character, wit, intelligence, directness and profound Christian faith. Her life and art are linked, each reflecting the other — a biography in glass. [w/ SLIDESHOW]

Continue reading
Courtesy of chautauqua Institution ArchivesThe Methodist Chapel, built in 1877 and more commonly known as the Old Chapel, was the first permanent building erected at Chautauqua intended for year-round use.

The curious chronicle of the Methodist Chapel

The spare, white board and batten Methodist Chapel — or the Old Chapel as it quickly came to be called — is gone. Even in its heyday it was a modest structure. One of only two Chapel Park buildings marked on the 1877 Map of Grounds of the Chautauqua Lake Sunday School Assembly, the chapel’s only decorations were the scalloped edging along its eaves and the slender gothic style windows.

Continue reading
Brian Smith | Staff PhotographerMary Khosh poses with her grandchildren who illustrated a book of poems written by her mother, Mattie Paul Sivert. Standing, from left to right: Khosh, Claudia Morse, Nathan Phillips, Ben Granger, Dan Charles, Will Morse, Caroline Granger. Seated: Charlotte Morse, Jonathan Phillips, Natalie Charles, Henry Morse.

The family that illustrates together stays together

Last summer, Chautauquan Mary Khosh planned the annual group art project for her 10 visiting grandchildren. They would illustrate the poems, rhymes and limericks that their great-grandmother Mattie Paul Sivert — Khosh’s mother — wrote many years ago. Their illustrations would be incorporated into a publication, a sort of conversation across generations and a way of preserving family history. The 10 children, ranging in age from 3 to 20, would meet their great-grandmother’s wit and humor for the first time; their illustrations would be their understanding of those traits.

Continue reading

Week Five 2014 prospects American West

Let’s be candid. How Chautauqua Institution will lasso “The American West,” the theme for 2014’s Week Five, is, from the vantage of this season’s fifth week, a work in progress. But this sprawling theme — which will pursue the nation’s artistic, cultural, political and economic gains from Westward expansion — presents many possibilities.

Continue reading
Benjamin Hoste | Staff PhotographerThe United Methodist House, on Pratt Avenue adjacent to the Amphitheater, celebrates its 125th anniversary this summer.

The United Methodist House, a home for 125 years

On Aug. 5, 1887, a group of Chautauquan Methodists, including Chautauqua co-founders Lewis Miller and Bishop John Heyl Vincent, met to discuss the feasibility of building a house to serve as the Assembly’s Methodist Episcopal Headquarters. If there was any debate, it was brief. Miller and Vincent each donated $100 to the cause. They urged others to contribute, on the spot — the fundraising tradition of the time. Money in hand, they bought the Allegheny College lot on Pratt Avenue. On Aug. 7, 1888, almost exactly a year later, they dedicated the Methodist Episcopal Headquarters.

Continue reading
Roxana Pop | Staff PhotographerA “family” of Austin, Texas, residents celebrates their annual return to Chautauqua. Seated, holding Texas flag: Barbara Miller and Ted Smith. Behind chairs, left to right: Tibb Middleton, Mary Beth Rogers, Cindy Pladziewicz, Barbara Vackar, Will Martin, Betsy Marton, Ken Wendler, Lee Thomson, Tommy Thomson and Cathy Bonner.

The sphere of Austin, Texas, influence moves east

Twelve current and former residents of Austin, Texas, gathered on the St. Elmo porch for a family portrait. Describing themselves as “the Austin pod,” the group is not a biological family, but, as Ted Smith said, “an intentional family.”

Continue reading
Brian Smith | Staff PhotographerMary Lee Talbot, writer of 100 Years of Beauty, stands with Beverly Hazen, the book’s editor, outside Smith Wilkes Hall. The book chronicles the history of Chautauqua’s Bird, Tree & Garden Club, which is celebrating its centennial during the 2013 Season.

Reporters combine efforts, produce topical BTG history

Usually it’s Chautauquan Daily reporters Mary Lee Talbot and Beverly Hazen who do the interviewing. On a warm June morning, the tables — or in this instance, the table — were turned. They drew up chairs around the round table on the Logan Hall porch for an interview and a description of their experiences authoring and editing ’100 Years of Beauty: A History of the Chautauqua Bird, Tree and Garden Club’, which celebrates the 100th anniversary of the BTG.

Continue reading