With ‘a million ideas’ for future, Sasha Janes steps fully into role as artistic director of Chautauqua’s School of Dance

Words, photos and video by HG Biggs

The Chautauqua School of Dance is more than a summer ballet intensive. 

Artistic Director Sasha Janes says he strives to provide a well-rounded program for the students who will spend seven weeks of their summer at Chautauqua, carrying on the legacy of his mentors Jean-Pierre Bonnefoux and Patricia McBride. 

Throughout the summer, students attend a variety of technique, variations and repertoire classes, ranging from a strong focus on classical ballet, to Broadway-style and contemporary choreography. Students also have the opportunity to choreograph their own pieces throughout the summer. 

Janes works to create a strong performance element in the Chautauqua dance program — just as directors before him — with opportunities for students to learn from dancers of professional companies like those of Houston Ballet II. It’s an integral part of his work, and the student experience. 

In Janes’ opinion, the impact of providing the 13- to 16-year-old Festival students with the opportunity to dance with a professional company and full symphony orchestra cannot be overstated. 

“The more you can get on stage as a young dancer, and get that confidence, the better off you’re going to be in the future,” Janes said. 

• Chautauqua’s School of Dance Artistic Director Sasha Janes instructs Festival Program students on July 31 in the Carnahan-Jackson Dance Studios as they rehearse the choreography of “A Time To Dance” for their performance with visiting company Houston Ballet II.
  • Chautauqua Institution School of Dance festival program students perform “A Time To Dance” with Houston Ballet Company Dancer Eric Best and the Chautauqua Symphony Orchestra on Aug. 12 in the Amphitheater.
  • Janes peers into Bechade Studio, as guest instructor Kati Hanlon Mayo works with festival program students on Aug. 1.
  • Janes instructs festival program students as they learn the piece “A Time To Dance” to perform with Houston Ballet II on July 28.
  • Chautauqua Institution School of Dance Artistic Director Sasha Janes studies performance film with festival program students as they learn the piece “A Time To Dance” to perform with Houston Ballet II on July 31.
  • Janes works with pre-professional program students Zachary Kushubar, Maggie Sorge and Bryan Gregory on July 31.
  • Janes studies performance video with pre-professional program students Karen Gresham, Zachary Kushubar, Bryan Gregory and Maggie Sorge on July 31.
  • Janes works with Pre-Professional Program students Zachary Kushubar, Karsen Gresham, Maggie Sorge and Bryan Gregory on July 31.
  • Janes and School of Dance guest instructor Kati Hanlon Mayo share a laugh during a break in rehearsal with Festival dancers on Aug. 1 in Carnahan-Jackson.
  • Janes has a quiet moment for planning classes.
  • Janes discusses an upcoming choreographic workshop with Festival dancers on Aug. 4. A number of students presented their own original choreography, performed by their peers, at the workshop on Aug. 11 in Carnahan-Jackson.

Janes credits Bonnefoux, and the former artistic director’s patient demeanor, for influencing his own manner of interacting with students. Janes tempers his correction with praise and exudes an atmosphere of calm in all his instruction. He asks his students about their days, their own choreographic work, and the bugs that inevitably creep into their dorm rooms in Bellinger Hall. 

“Getting to know the students as well as I can, to see what their dreams and aspirations are, is an important aspect of the job,” Janes said.

By trying to provide “all the skills that students are going to need in their career” through guest faculty instruction, focusing on students’ development of strong rudimentary ballet technique, and encouraging them to experience the variety of other artforms at Chautauqua, Janes hopes to help the young dancers on their way to achieving those dreams. 

As Janes concludes his first year as artistic director of the School of Dance, his future aspirations for the program extend beyond continuing Bonnefoux’s legacy. 

“If there were things I would want to do with the program, it would be to have more cross-training … and to have a physical therapist here seven days a week,” Janes said, to help maintain dancers’ strength and health throughout the intensive program. “I have a million ideas that I want to do. … I’m just going to keep doing my best to grow the program … and provide opportunities that perhaps other dance companies can’t provide.”

• Chautauqua School of Dance festival students prepare to perform in their final gala on Aug. 13, 2023, backstage in the Amphitheater.
  • Phoebe Gray prepares to perform in the Chautauqua School of Dance’s final gala on Aug. 13, 2023, backstage in the Amphitheater.
  • Chautauqua School of Dance festival program students perform an excerpt from La Sylphide.
  • Chautauqua School of Dance pre professional program students perform MORE, choreographed by Kara Wilkes.
  • Chautauqua School of Dance pre professional program students Natalia Burns and Jacob Soltero perform in String Samba, choreographed by Abigail Gross.
  • Chautauqua School of Dance pre professional program students Natalia Burns, Jacob Soltero and Emma Cilke perform in Donizetti Variations, choreographed by George Balanchine and staged by Patricia McBride.
  • Chautauqua School of Dance pre professional program students perform in Excerpts from Union Jack.
  • Chautauqua School of Dance pre professional program students Maddie Tyler and Sarah Hurty perform in Donizetti Variations, choreographed by George Balanchine and staged by Patricia McBride.
  • Chautauqua School of Dance pre professional program students Olivia Cornelius and Aram Hengen perform Grand Pas de Deux from The Nutcracker.
  • Chautauqua School of Dance festival program students perform Polonaise and Mazurka from Paquita, choreographed by Joseph Jefferies.
  • Chautauqua School of Dance festival program students perform Thoroughly Modern Millie, originally choreographed by Rob Ashford and adapted by Michael Deeb.
  • Chautauqua School of Dance pre professional program students Natalia Burns and Aram Hengen perform Tarantella, choreographed by George Balanchine.
  • Chautauqua School of Dance festival students say goodbye following their final gala.

The author HG Biggs

HG Biggs is a rising senior at the University of Mississippi where she studies Mandarin Chinese. HG credits baseball with sparking the start of her photographer career. Her first experiences holding a camera were taking photos through chain link fences at her brothers’ little league t-ball games. HG has just finished three years working for the University of Mississippi’s student-run newspaper, The Daily Mississippian; two and a half of those years she spent as photo editor. During her first summer in Chautauqua, HG will be working as a photographer for The Chautauquan Daily, and she is excited to photograph everything outside of the sports fields where she spends much of her time at home.