With Southern Avenue, Keb’ Mo’, Sheryl Crow returns to head triple lineup

CrowIllust

After a lecture-filled day, if it makes them happy, Chautauquans can head over to the Amphitheater to catch nine-time Grammy-winner Sheryl Crow.

Crow, Keb’ Mo’ and Southern Avenue take the stage for a special triple lineup at 7 p.m. Tuesday, July 12, in the Amp. 

With the Showtime documentary “Sheryl” premiering May 2022 — and screening at 5 p.m., Tuesday, July 12, at the Chautauqua Cinema — and a full schedule of shows this summer, Crow stays busy. 

She is known for hits such as “All I Wanna Do,” “Strong Enough,” “If It Makes You Happy” and “Soak Up the Sun.” She has released more than 10 albums and sold more than 50 million copies worldwide. 

After providing background vocals for top artists, including Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder and Jimmy Buffet, in the late ’80s, Crow released her first album, Tuesday Night Music Club, in 1993. The album earned her Grammys for Best New Artist, Record of the Year and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance. 

Her most recent album Threads was released in 2019, peaked at No. 2 on Billboard’s weekly U.S. Top Country Albums, and features collaborations with different artists on each track. Willie Nelson, Eric Clapton, Stevie Nicks and Neil Young are just a few of the legends to appear on the album. 

Crow is excited to make her Chautauqua return after her Amp debut in 2017. Eclectic Memphis group Southern Avenue opens the night, followed by Grammy-winner Keb’ Mo’. Crow will finish the night with her set.

“We are really looking forward to playing Chautauqua again. We have such great memories from 2017,” she said. “It is one of the most idyllic places full of wonderful people and an inspiring environment. My boys and I love it there. Can’t wait to get back.”

Similar to Crow’s versatility, Mo’ also surpasses the binds of a single genre. Over the course of his nearly 50-year long career, he has contributed to the music industry as a singer, songwriter and guitarist, drawing inspiration from folk, rock, blues and jazz, to name a few. 

One of his career highs includes performing at the White House for President Barack Obama in 2012 and 2015. He’s proud of the continued forward momentum in his career. 

As an advocate for social, environmental and racial justice, Mo’ relates to the Week Three Theme of “The Future of Human Rights” by trying to uplift people through his music while conveying a message of positivity and unity. 

“Our fight for human rights never ends; we have to remain vigilant and use our voices where we can to make a difference,” he said, “especially right now, with the state of things in this country.”

Mo’ is currently touring with a six-piece band, which “for this tour, has really taken things to the next level.”

Chautauquans can expect a high-energy set, and Mo’ hopes they’ll walk away with some of his contagious positivity. 

“(We’re) getting the band rocking and people in the dancing mood,” Mo’ said. “After such a rough few years, people are looking for some inspiration and entertainment. We do our best to give them a party.”

Mo’ has enjoyed his touring experience with Crow and Southern Avenue. 

“Sharing the stage with Sheryl is a dream. Such a fantastic experience so far,” he said. “And Southern Avenue brings such an exciting energy to the package.”

Southern Avenue, which formed in 2015, is a five-piece that describes their style as “Memphis Music.” The group consists of Tierinii Jackson for lead vocals, Ori Naftaly on guitar, Tikyra Jackson on drums and background vocals, Jeremy Powell on keys and Evan Sarver on bass. 

The band has toured the world with the likes of Los Lobos, Mississippi Allstars and Karl Denson. With the frequency of their shows at an average of 150 performances a year, guitarist Naftaly said they love playing live and are accustomed to being on stage. 

“We do have to repeat songs because people expect to hear them, but we have the ability to improvise and try different things whenever we want to,” Naftaly said. “We keep exploring more avenues to take when we play our songs live.”

Naftaly said Southern Avenue hopes to enact change and make the world a better place with their music. 

“We are genuine people. We come with a message and with the intention to make a change in the world through music,” he said. “We give it all and hope the audience will allow us into their hearts.”

He said he wants people to walk away from shows with the message of not giving up. 

Naftaly reflected on the opportunity to play a series of shows with Crow and Mo’, sharing that they have made the band feel welcomed throughout the tour. 

“It’s been a huge blessing. We are huge fans of both of them. Keb’ Mo’ is an icon. Sheryl is an icon. We just feel blessed to be included,” Naftaly said. “We try to be like a fly on the wall, but both camps make us feel at home, so we feel just like that, at home.”

Tonight marks the second to last time Crow, Mo’ and Southern Avenue will share the stage this summer. If all you wanna do is have some fun, don’t miss tonight’s show. 

Tags : entertainmentHomepagePopular Entertainment

The author GraciAnn Hicks

GraciAnn Hicks is from Lima, Ohio, and attends Miami University as a journalism and professional writing double major with a minor in Spanish. At Miami, she is involved with RedHawk Radio and The Miami Student Magazine. She will be copyediting during her first summer at Chautauqua. When she’s not working, she enjoys listening to music and reading books.